Thoughts and happenings from the Student Ministers at 5:17church.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

YF Camp reflections

Last weekend we held our annual YF Camp. Tonight was the related 'YF Camp Reflections' in which everyone who went to camp got together one last time to share what they had reflected upon during the week after camp.

Lots of people turned up tonight which was incredibly encouraging. Plenty of the first timers as well. I led a largish group through the reflections and was able to share my own thoughts.

This year's camp wasn't the greatest one. Previous camps have had a better feel and better fellowship, however the lessons I learnt this weekend were quite profound compared with previous years.

Our guest speaker's talks from the book of Jonah were excellent. I learnt more about the technique of preaching from listening in, but the greatest thing I was reminded of last weekend was to remember that God is always bigger than the box we put Him in.

Now, this should come as no surprise really. However I realised that I have put God in a box. It's a box with the labels of 'theology' and 'got this figured out' plastered all over it. And I honestly believe it to be a very big box as well. But the surprising message of which I have been mulling over the past few days has been that even though I believe my box is very big, God is still much bigger than that. His ways are far beyond my ability to fully comprehend and I'm thankful that He condescends to my level and communicates His will to me through His word. I have so much to learn and so much more to be thankful for that I must continue to ponder and be in awe of God's greatness.

What a privilege it is to have God reveal Himself in His Son. I pray that I'll be able to encourage you (and vice versa) to keep pondering the vastness and depth of God's greatness.

No comments: