Thoughts and happenings from the Student Ministers at 5:17church.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Sad moment for SALT tonight

Tonight we did our fifth study in the '10 Commandments' series in 'More studies to go'. It was on commandment #5 - honouring our fathers and mothers. Because we're a predominantly Asian youth group I felt this particular study needed to stress that the reason we are obedient to our parents is not so that we score marks in being 'gwai' - but because it pleases God (cf Colossians 3:20)

On the way home I dropped off a couple of teens. Here's a snippet of the conversation I had with them in the car ride:

Me: Can I ask you a question and get an honest answer?

Teen: Sure!

Me: What are you afraid of most - dissappointing God or dissappointing your parents?

Teen: ... God...?

Me: Really...?

Teen: ...no... my parents...

Pray for the families in our church - that they would not only be counter cultural, but thoroughly Gospel centred.

No comments: