Thoughts and happenings from the Student Ministers at 5:17church.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Most embarrasing moments whilst chairing!

I recently read a blog competition requesting submissions for the most embarrassing moments of leading Sunday services. Some of the entries were pretty funny and as I reflected there have been a few moments I’m not overly proud of either:

  • Once time I was chairing for Pastor Mun and as he finished I got up and thanked him for his message. I then attempted to summarise his message in a sentence or two to lead into the final song of response. I said something like, “Thanks Pastor for your message this morning. As Pastor has reminded us… umm… what did you say again Pastor?” I totally zoned out and forgot what he had just preached on!
  • One time I gave the guitar intro for ‘No Other Name’. I started much too quickly but didn’t realise and also stuffed up the chord progression. To add further insult to injury it was a relatively new song and nobody sang :P It wasn’t my best musical moment.
  • This one time, not whilst leading but whilst a musician, I was asked to do an intro for ‘How Deep The Father’s Love’ – my guitar had suffered greatly under the heat that morning and all of a sudden I was *incredibly* out of tune. Not only that but the pianist had not communicated to me earlier that he intended to play the song in a lower key – so I had an out of tune intro in the wrong key!
Thankfully things have been a lot smoother!

No comments: